Thursday, September 13, 2007

Going Green


So, the Eveland family is slowly turning GREEN. Some things are easy to change and others will take a bigger commitment and lifestyle change.
Some easy things we have done:

  • CFL Light bulbs (although my bathroom lights are all auto lights and they don't work in there - any ideas?)
  • No more Costco flats of water bottles - we are using our re-usable bottles (got a super cute one from Starbucks)
  • Using a Travel Mug for my morning trip to Starbucks instead of their paper cups
  • Using 7th Generation paper towels and napkins
  • Washing all the clothes on cold
  • Recycling
  • Carpooling to work with Paul
  • No paper plates/cups when we have company
  • Setting the AC to 78 when we're home and using ceiling fans
  • Using re-usable bags going to the grocery store
That's a few of the easier things we are doing to be better stewards of the earth. Don't worry, I'm not going to stop washing my body, stop wearing deodorant and get dreads. I've also cut down the amount of red meat my family is eating because the meat industry does more harm to the environment then SUV's. I slipped in Bocca burgers the other night and Paul thought they were turkey burgers because they tasted a little different and thanked me for being healthy. I know that if I said here's a tofu burger he wouldn't have touched it with a 10 foot pole.

Anyway, something I am going to try that has me a little nervous (and excited):
  • gdiapers - I ordered the starter pack yesterday and I'll let you all know how it goes. Luke is a BIG pooper. So I'm nervous that the "g" will not be able to contain the power of his bowels. One bummer about going "g" the infant care here at the church were Luke spends his day while I'm working will not use the gdiaper. He still has to use disposable there.




5 comments:

Brian, Emily, Violet, and Jack said...

Jessica, are you guys going to get a Prius next to go with your gdiapers? Just kidding, thats what you said to us when we said we were going to start using gdiapers. I'm glad to see you have jumped on the bandwagon of taking care of the earth.

jess mac said...

Good job you...clothesine and compost in the future? The g contain poops that blow out disposables at our house. Snd the now have biodegradable disposables at Target. See Alyssa's blog. When are you coming to town? Coffee sounds great.

Anonymous said...

So green girl, when is this so called Starbucks mug going to begin use? And, what is wrong with the coffee I make you every morning.

Alyssa said...

So glad you got the starter kit for g diapers! We have been really happy with them, so I hope they can hold your big poops. Well not your big poops, but Lukes!

Bella @ Lil Daisies said...

We have been looking at gdiapers to use with our new little one. I used cloth diapers in the past with my others....but, we had a diaper service. And, well we moved and no money for that now. Go Green!