Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Reading

I love to read.  I have since I was a little girl and first picked up "Little House in the Big Woods"


Then moved onto the Babysitters Club Series.  MaryAnn drove me crazy!  Why was she the first to get a boyfriend?  Logan was too hot for her (at least in my world he was).  I loved fashionable Claudia.  Then there was Stacey's big secret - diabetes!  Discovered after she peed her pants at a slumber party.  How awful!  But the girls pulled together and always supported Stacey. After I was too grown-up for the Babysitters Club - I moved onto Sweet Valley High.  I loved Jessica.  First and for most because her name was Jessica!  She was also into fashion, outgoing and spontaneous.

I recently finished the Twilight series.  I read all 4 books and the unfinished manuscript of Midnight Sun in just 6 days.  Not saying that these books are perfect and everything was wrapped up a little too neatly for my taste... But they were written for teenage girls and they were so fun to read!  I also read Confessions of a Shopaholic and Shopaholic Takes Manhattan.  Total chic lit and fun to read.  I have this thing when a movie is coming out, I want to read the book and then I don't want to see the movie after because I just know they are going to get it wrong (ie The Devil Wears Prada).  

So after all the fluffy reading, I decided to read a classic - Jane Austin.   I must confess, as much as I love to read and as much as I love Jane Austin movies - I have never read one of her books.  I'm truly kind of embarrassed to admit that.  I'm going to start with Persuasion (from the back cover)...  
"Persuasion is the most highly esteemed novel of many Austenites.  Persuasion has often been seen as the thinking reader's Pride and Prejudice."
I hope I'm a thinking reader and all those years of Sweet Valley High didn't rot my brain too much!

3 comments:

Krista said...

I never knew Stacy's big secret! Sarah had a bloddy nose while reading that book, so I just skipped it. I hope you love your Jane Austen! When you're done, I recommend The Jane Austen Book Club. Chic lit, but fun!

trisha loves to paint said...

This is the best blog post ever written!!! All those books have passed through my life! You will love Jane Austen!!!
Come visit! Come for a conference and we can skip the afternoon sessions to go to the movies!

Unknown said...

haha! I loved baby sitters club too!!